Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Bilbao, my hometown


I was born in Bilbao and I still live here so I'm going to speak about one part which I really like and know very well : the old town.


The old town or "Casco Viejo" is one of the most special part of Bilbao because it is the oldest place. We can say that it is the heart of Bilbao and one of the most lively and beautiful places to visit.


There, we can find different shops, historical monuments, some old churches and a cathedral, many charming squares like the "Plaza Nueva" or "Unamuno", and a lot of bars and restaurants. All this, make this place one of the most popular areas of the city.


The "Plaza Nueva", was built in the nineteenth century. It's a neoclassical square and was opened in 1851. It is one of the most interesting and well-known place too.


There is also a very important theatre in the old town called th
e Arriaga. The Arriaga theatre was built in 1799 and rebuilt in 1986, the place where the main plays and events take place, there you can see theatre, ballet, and many other shows.


However, if you don't want to visit museums, theatres, monuments or churches, you can visit some other places like beaches or mountains in the surroundings of the town which are really beautiful and interesting like for example Urdaibai beaches or the highest mountain in Bizkaia: Gorbea.


In Bilbao you will find a great variety of places with different atmospheres.


I think I have mentioned the main interesting places to visit in the old town and surroundings, and I hope it will help you to know my hometown better.

No comments: